In this episode of the Progressive Dairy Podcast, host Kimmi Devaney is joined by Jenna Muller and Mary Campbell from the California Ag Mediation Program to discuss a resource that can help you resolve some of the tense situations and difficult conversations that inevitably come up while managing a business, especially one with your family. Mediation can assist with transitioning the farm from one generation to another, diffuse tense situations with neighbors and assist with multiple other situations.
Here’s a breakdown of the episode:
- How does mediation help farm families? [~1:00]
- The primary reasons a farmer would call a mediator [~2:40]
- Jenna and Mary walk us through the process when a farmer calls them for assistance [~3:40]
- How mediation can assist with transitioning the farm from one generation to another [~4:30]
- Facilitating debt issues [~8:55]
- Dealing with neighbor disputes [~10:20]
- Misconceptions they hear about facilitation and mediation [~13:30]
- Trainings offered and what they cover [~14:20]
- Additional tips for anyone looking to have more productive conversations and discussions [~15:55]
- How can farmers across the country who need some extra help navigating difficult conversations with family members, neighbors, or others find facilitators or mediators to help them? [~23:50]
- Rapid-fire questions [~27:40]
Progressive Dairy Podcast
The Progressive Dairy podcast is for U.S. dairy producers and their industry partners. Each helpful, informative episode serves as an on-the-go companion to the reliable, trustworthy information you find when reading Progressive Dairy magazine. New episodes are released every other week on Tuesdays.