This episode's guest is Ian Whitworth, a reformed branding and advertising creative director turned entrepreneur and co-founder of Scene Change, a national corporate AV company that once used a toothless gypsy lady to help set its strategy!
Ian studied as a vet, got expelled, and became a corporate AV technician. He claims he has been "exposed to radioactive megadoses of corporate motivator shtick", before realising they’re generally 99% showbiz and 1% business experience.
More importantly, for the purposes of today’s episode –
Ian is a blogger and published author, with a new book out now via Penguin Random House: UNDISRUPTABLE: Timeless Business Truths for Thriving in a World of Non-Stop Change.
(High profile Australian entrepreneur Zoë Foster Blake described UNDISRUPTABLE as "witty, clever and extremely relevant in these godforsaken Zoom times.")
In this wide-ranging chat with host Trevor Young, Ian touches on:
- How he snagged a book deal with a major publisher
- The importance of telling real-life stories
- The power of blogging (and the role it played in landing him a book deal)
- The use of humour in storytelling
- Finding and honing your public voice
- Writing is thinking - it's valuable to clarify what you stand for and what you do.
Ian also discusses developing a point of view and why it's sometimes good to have a "straw man enemy" to go up against. In Ian's case, he preaches doing the opposite to what an MBA-trained consultant would tell you to do (the original title of Ian's book was 'Kill All MBAs!').
Connect with Ian:
Reputation Revolution | the Influence & IMPACT podcast
The PR Warrior Trevor Young helps entrepreneurs and leaders build visibility, influence and trust in today's 'reputation economy'.
REPUTATION REVOLUTION covers the four core pillars of building a successful and respected professional personal brand:
- ESTABLISH your voice
- ENHANCE the credibility of that voice
- EXTEND the reach of your voice
- EXTRACT value from the profile and reputation you build in the marketplace