Driving Small Businesses to Success with Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine feat. Timm Lucher
- January 20th 2022
Welcome to another episode of The Beef! Today we have the honor of speaking with the co-owner of Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine, Timm Lucher. Timm’s vision is to create a resource to help small Texas businesses thrive. Tune in to hear the story of how playing with Hot Wheels as a child sparked a lifelong passion for anything with wheels, and how he came to marry his passion for photography with his love for cars. He found his niche photographing cars, trucks and motorcycles at car shows, and runs the Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine with his two daughters. Each edition takes two weeks to put together, and there is no fee attached for businesses to advertise their services in the magazine. During this episode, Timm shares why he has chosen this structure and why, when you support his magazine, you are really supporting small businesses. We hope you join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Timm’s favorite restaurant in Texas: Sam's Restaurant, off Interstate 45.
- The story of how playing with Hot Wheels as a child sparked his love of cars and racing.
- Why he doesn’t shoot people, but loves photographing cars.
- How the photos he expects to be the worst often wind up being the best.
- What it was like to create a niche photographing cars, trucks and motorcycles at car shows.
- The family business Timm runs with his two daughters.
- How long it takes to put the magazine together: two weeks.
- Why they have chosen not to charge businesses for advertising space in the magazine.
- The model they started with, taking money out of their own back pocket.
- How the business has grown to fund itself.
- His focus to advertise small businesses to give them exposure they wouldn’t have had.
- Why when you support Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine, you are supporting small businesses in Texas.
“You could take a picture of a hubcap and turn it into a work of art.” — Timm Lucher [0:11:07]
“I find that a bunch of my photos when I take them, that the ones that I think when I’m taking them at the time are going to be the worst ones, they usually wind up being the best ones.” — Timm Lucher [0:13:18]
“The people that advertise with us, we don’t charge them anything. They’re a small business just like we are and we want to give everyone the kind of exposure, to get them out there.” — Timm Lucher [0:23:33]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine
Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine on Instagram
Full Throttle Texas Hot Rod Magazine on Facebook
Small Business Origins
Small businesses are the backbone of America and they help keep the spirit of Texas alive. As many as 50% will close their doors forever after just five years and we're here to change that. We know how tough it is to be an Entrepreneur these days, so we're giving small business owners a platform to share their story. Listen in as we share the personal and business stories of Entrepreneurs and companies around the nation. From "Mom and Pop" shops to multi-million dollar investors, we dive into where they came from and how they are making it today. New episodes are released every Thursday and links to our guests are always available in the show notes.
**The views expressed here are solely representative of those stating their opinions and does not necessarily reflect the views of John Kelley or Beefy Marketing. Small Business Origins invites guests to speak of their experience and offer personal opinions on a range of topics, none of which is censored or scripted. Nothing expressed in any episode should be taken as advice for any subject including financial decisions, medical decisions or life choices. Please consult an appropriate expert if you have questions regarding any topic discussed on Small Business Origins.**
Meet the Host
John is a Texas firefighter, entrepreneur and marketing advisor. As a business major, small business owner and marketing advisor for Beefy Marketing, he has become very familiar with the challenges entrepreneurs face every day. Bringing his humor and love for helping others to The Small Business Origins Podcast, he dives deep into what makes each business tick, helping bring useful information to other small business owners. Learning all about a business and putting them into the spotlight gives listeners a reason to visit each business featured and give them a try.