Should you buy or build? Hire an engineer? Go headless? These are the questions that can consume DTC brands, and there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. We were joined once again by Ben Kochavy, who helped shed light on the questions above. The key takeaway is this: there’s a time for brands to live on a platform like Shopify, and a time to go custom. There’s also a middle ground, where you can build custom apps for your Shopify-based business. What you don’t want to do is drown your early-stage company in engineering costs, or hobble your growth with systems that prevent agile pivots.
- When to buy versus build
- The pros and cons of custom
- Why Shopify is the best bet for new brands
- Tech doesn’t always add value
- Invest in custom apps
- Aim for fewer failure points
- Check out ColdBru Digital
- Connect with Ben Kochavy on LinkedIn or Twitter
- Check out 1-Click Pony
- Connect with Ben Fisher on LinkedIn or Twitter
- Connect with Joel Van Horn on LinkedIn or Twitter
Ben Fisher & Joel Van Horn discuss the nuts & bolts of subscription commerce.