Why do people think veganism is too expensive? Top 3 reasons:
1. It’s an unfamiliar diet and lifestyle to most people — Only 1-3% of American adults are permanent vegans
2. The animal ag industry subsidizes animal foods — Many of the costs that prop up animal flesh and secretions production are handled by lobbyists and governmental action
Further reading: https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/19/animal-agriculture-subsidies-threaten-planet/
3. There are many cultural forces conspiring against veganism to make it seem not worthwhile or unattainable
It’s never been easier or more convenient to be vegan:
Percentage of vegans by race: http://tanjajurgec.com/never-been-easier-to-go-vegan/
African Americans are fastest growing vegan demographic: https://thebeet.com/african-americans-are-the-fastest-growing-vegan-demographic/
Vegan demographics: https://vegansofcolor.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/update-of-vegans-by-raceethnicity-survey/
Veganism is not a race-based lifestyle or ethical position: https://www.livekindly.co/more-african-americans-going-vegan-than-white-people/
Chipotle menu: https://www.chipotle.com/order/#menu
Veganism is one of the cheapest diets: https://www.good.is/articles/is-it-cheaper-to-be-vegan-vegetarian-or-a-meat-eater
In accordance with a March 2019 study from the CASS Studies Journal of India, vegan diets did not originate from wealthy elites in the West, but from Eastern cultures and religions, such as Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism.
Eat vegan on a budget: https://www.staceyhomemaker.com/cheap-vegan-meals/
What is a food desert? - https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-food-deserts-4165971
Eat vegan in food deserts:
• Know it can be difficult
• Petition and rally your neighbors. Ask your nearby vegan community
• Accidental vegan foods
• Try to find a store if you can that sells the basics, like at a corner store, for beans, rice, lentils
• Go to your nearest grocery store and stock up
• Grow your own on a small plot of land or find a community garden
• Source / more info: Sweetpotatosoul.net
Restaurant food is marked up 300% - https://youtu.be/pAAv7gWV6SU?t=105
Vegan hot pockets — Whole Foods’ pre-made pizza dough; Lightlife vegan ham; So Delicious’ cheddar shreds; oven at 350-400 for 20 to 30 minutes
Is It Vegan? App — https://apps.apple.com/us/app/is-it-vegan/id673006541
Official Website: http://thecompassionateconversation.com/
Cash App: $bjohnson0321
Want more videos from us?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
The Compassionate Conversation
The Compassionate Conversation is a podcast dedicated to documenting, discussing, and delineating all aspects of veganism for today’s listener. Investigating where veganism overlaps with—or collides with—knowledge, culture, nutrition, activism, science, religion, and more, this show is sure to get you thinking about the world’s fastest-growing holistic lifestyle like never before.
This podcast is hosted by married couple Brad and Lucy Johnson. Veteran vegans who have made it their mission to incorporate veganism into a comprehensive worldview, the duo have been involved in everything from book writing to hosting non-profit initiatives. Listen today to discover how veganism can be simple, practical, and effective for you.