Sometimes I feel like every marketer secretly wants to be an entrepreneur. That their goal is to build passive income through a side-hustle, quit marketing and then work remotely from the jungles of Peru.
I'm not sure why I think this way. Maybe because I've felt this way.
Dave Schneider has lived this very experience. I wanted to know whether his experiences matched my expectations, or whether I've mis-sold myself.
Dave sold links in the early 2010s and that helped to fund his travel around the world, before he eventually embarked on a SaaS journey with outreach software, NinjaOutreach. Dave later sold NinjaOutreach and is currently on a mission to reinvent marketing agency practices with Shortlist.io, the unagency.
In this episode we discuss:
- Dave's advice in building SaaS products for non-developers
- The trigger moment that led Dave to consider exiting NinjaOutreach
- Lessons in successfully exiting a SaaS product
- How selling NinjaOutreach impacted Dave's life
- Dave's thoughts on influencer marketing
- How Shortlist.io was born and what is an un-agency?
Referenced on this episode:
- Dave's first venture, NinjaOutreach: https://ninjaoutreach.com/
- Dave's story on how he grew NinjaOutreach from the Niche Pursuits podcast in 2017: https://www.nichepursuits.com/podcast-120-dave-schneider-built-30k-per-month-link-building-software-company-using-outreach/
- Shortlist.io's Podcast, 'How We Solve': https://howwesolve.com/
CONNECT WITH DAVE / SHORTLIST:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE ADVERTISING HOUR:
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-advertising-hour/id1517577846
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZC5jby90aGUtYWR2ZXJ0aXNpbmctaG91cg==
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3G3YLFN2TbxV9W9m93KnYW
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI2HuVI4QQkLKaZ2O3H4uOA
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/podcastdotco/the-advertising-hour
- TuneIn: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Business--Economics-Podcasts/The-Advertising-Hour-p1331527
- Acast: https://play.acast.com/s/the-advertising-hour
... or your favourite podcast platform!
FOLLOW ME / THE ADVERTISING HOUR:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/theadhour
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theadvertisinghour
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAdvertisingHour
- Me: LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottcolenutt
The track featured in this episode is 'Enu' by Osoku.
Send all feedback, thoughts and guest recommendations to [email protected]
The Advertising Hour
The Advertising Hour is just an excuse for me to take at least 60-minutes every couple of weeks to explore the goings-on in my curiosity-plagued mind.
Part therapy, part meditation, part study.
Mostly, I'm hoping to learn a little more about myself, my contemporaries and my obsessions through the study and discussion of all things advertising.
I expect to get plenty distracted along the way.
At very least I hope to light-up a few unsuspecting synapses.
It's a bonus for us all if this helps to surface unique marketing insight.