Hello guys! Welcome to the third episode of #TRYEVERYTHING! In this episode we talk to a long time friend of mine Teresa, who is truly a paragon of our show’s message – she was someone who started out her career in real estate management, before leaving to pursue her passion in graphic design as a freelancer, and eventually leaping on the opportunity to start her own organic skin care business Balm Kitchen! And she even did this while raising a family as well, incredible! This was a really insightful episode, Teresa has so much to offer, and so I hope you enjoy!
Highlights of the episode include:
· Teresa’s background within the real estate industry, and why she left to pursue her passion of graphic design [0:49]
· What her experience was like as a freelance graphic designer, how she sourced for new clients, and the unexpected reality of her new role [2:12]
· How Teresa juggled motherhood and her new career, and the new perspective that she gained from that experience [3:57]
· Why Teresa thinks nurturing plays a significant role both in motherhood and in your career [7:07]
· How the rude remarks of her former classmate spurred Teresa into her next journey [9:09]
· How Teresa learned from her child’s skin condition to enter into the realm of entrepreneurship, organic skin care, and the opening of her business Balm Kitchen [10:53]
· The new challenges that Teresa faced now juggling motherhood, entrepreneurship, and her personal ambitions [13:40]
· What myths Teresa discovered as she ventured into the clean beauty industry [17:02]
· How Teresa decided to take the plunge into starting a business [18:43]
· What challenges Teresa faced as a first-time business owner [19:35]
· What a typical day looks like for the self-identified “octopus”, Teresa [25:05]
· Teresa’s advice for young adults just starting to get into the workforce [29:03]
· How Teresa deals with peer pressure or familial expectations [31:50]
This episode’s guest:
Teresa Foo is founder & skincare formulator at Balm Kitchen, an organic skin care business that focuses on Asian botanicals.
She is also a firm believer in the Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle, and has helped her family to transition as well. She started her career in the real estate management industry as a technical officer focused on housing maintenance, before leaving to pursue her passion in graphic design as a freelancer. However, she would later leave her role to support her family, and when researching homemade skincare solutions for son’s eczema, chanced upon an opportunity to venture into entrepreneurship with Balm Kitchen.
Connect with us!
Host: Lauren Ong
Guest: Teresa Foo
If you would like to share your story on this show do reach out and send an e-mail to [email protected]
Are you feeling stuck in your life? Lost and unsure of what to do? What do you do when you career stalls, your graduation plans crumble, or when you are in a quarter-life crisis? Well, you #TRYEVERYTHING!
Hosted by Lauren Ong, #TRYEVERYTHING is a show that shares the stories of those who've tried, and what they've found on their journeys to success. Through their winding tales of hardships, struggles, and failures, expect to come away with invaluable life lessons, career tips, and advice from Singapore's hidden mentors.
Let us help you find your path, if only you are willing to try!